Tuesday 23 August 2016

When a Knight Won His Spurs... #Arthurian #Legend

I thought I would share you something rather different today. My favourite hymn of all times is a children's hymn, which I learnt many moons ago, back in Sunday School. Even from a young age, this hymn appealed to me. From the first hearing of it, it took me back to the time of King Arthur, and it tells a story of magic and dragons and horses and knights. That made it for me, absolutely perfect.


I found this music video of 'When a Knight Won His Spurs' which I absolutely love, and I wanted to share it with you. That little boy was me as a child, and I know he was you as well.







'When a Knight Won His Spurs' - Gaitway Brothers (Official Music Video)


When a knight won his spurs, in the stories of old,
He was gentle and brave, he was gallant and bold
With a shield on his arm and a lance in his hand,
For God and for valour he rode through the land.

No charger have I, and no sword by my side,
Yet still to adventure and battle I ride,
Though back into storyland giants have fled,
And the knights are no more and the dragons are dead.

Let faith be my shield and let joy be my steed
'Gainst the dragons of anger, the ogres of greed;
And let me set free with the sword of my youth,
From the castle of darkness, the power of the truth.

 By Jan Struther (June 6, 1901 – July 20, 1953)

No comments:

Post a Comment

See you on your next coffee break!
Take Care,
Mary Anne xxx