Wednesday, 9 September 2026

Author Interview : Val Penny


Today I am chatting with Val Penny about Murder in the New Town, the third novel in her Detective Hunter Wilson Mystery series.

Set against the elegant streets of Edinburgh’s New Town, Hunter’s latest investigation becomes uncomfortably close to home when a brutal murder is discovered in his son’s flat. I caught up with Val to talk about returning to Hunter’s world, using Edinburgh as a setting, the complicated relationship between Hunter and his family, and what goes into creating a mystery that keeps readers guessing.


But first, let's check out Murder in New Town



Publication Date: 24th June 2026
Publisher: Joffe Books
Print Length: 258 Pages
Genre: Crime / Thriller

Behind the elegant Georgian terraces of Edinburgh's New Town, a killer is hiding in plain sight . . .

Detective Hunter Wilson is dragged from his bed by a frantic call in the early hours of the morning.

A young woman has been found dead in a flat above a betting shop on Frederick Street.

By the time Hunter arrives, it’s clear this wasn’t a crime of passion.

The victim has been beaten beyond recognition. The tips of her fingers are missing. The kitchen floor is soaked red with her blood.

Someone wanted to make sure she could never be identified.

But that’s not what stops Hunter in his tracks.

The flat is the home of his own son.



Murder in the New Town opens with a particularly brutal crime in the heart of Edinburgh. What inspired this investigation, and did you always know that the murder would take place somewhere so personally connected to Hunter?

I wanted to set the story in the Edinburgh New Town. Because it is central and a beautiful part of the city. I also wanted to centre the story around Hunter’s son and his recovery from drug addiction. It is important to me that my books show that, even when people take a wrong turn, there is always the opportunity for redemption.


The victim has been deliberately made difficult to identify, immediately giving Hunter and his team two mysteries to solve: who she is and who killed her. What interested you about beginning the investigation without even being able to give the victim a name?

I am fascinated by challenge and by the difficulties the emergency services are faced with. Therefore I wanted to compound the issues for the police in this book and show Hunter’s team working the clues I give them.


The discovery that the murder scene is Hunter’s son’s flat changes the investigation completely for him. How did you explore the conflict between Hunter the experienced detective and Hunter the father?

Hunter has a rather chequered relationship with both of his children because of his divorce from their mother. However, he does at least see his son Cameron. It was for this reason that I wanted to set the action in Cameron’s flat and give Hunter the additional headache of having to walk that fine line between professionalism and paternalism. 


Edinburgh’s New Town is renowned for its beautiful Georgian architecture and elegant streets, which creates a striking contrast with the violence at the centre of the novel. How important was that juxtaposition when creating the atmosphere of the story?

Every city has an underbelly, and at the time this book is set, there were parts of the New Town which were notorious. I therefore wanted to play with the physical beauty of the area and some of the wicked characters I created to thrive there. 


Frederick Street and the surrounding area give you a very recognisable Edinburgh setting for the investigation. Do you enjoy using real locations in your novels, and how do you decide which parts of the city will become settings for particular crimes?

I use the city of Edinburgh as an additional character in my novels. This is deliberate. Many of my readers have visited the city and others would like to. I therefore do try to take them on a tour of parts of the city as Hunter and his team solve each mystery. 


Hunter’s family connection to the crime inevitably raises the emotional stakes. What challenges did you face in making the case intensely personal without allowing that aspect of the story to overwhelm the police procedural element?

Hunter’s relationship with his son is fragile and therefore his determination that his team solve the mystery is particularly important so that Cameron can sleep at night knowing he did nothing wrong.


The killer has gone to disturbing lengths to prevent the victim from being identified. Without giving too much away, what did this allow you to explore about the importance of identity in a murder investigation?

It was fun to explore the horror of murder as well as the wit and experience of Hunter and his team. I’m relieved my readers enjoy following investigations with me.


This is the third Detective Hunter Wilson Mystery. At this point in the series, how had your understanding of Hunter changed from the character you first introduced, and were you beginning to discover aspects of him that you hadn’t originally planned?

When I first created Hunter, I hadn’t really thought about his romantic side. I thought his team member, Tim Myerscough, would be my love interest. However, since Hunter met Dr Meera Sharma and their relationship is developing, I am more aware of Hunter’s more rounded, human character. 


Crime novels often depend as much upon what characters are hiding as upon the evidence detectives uncover. How do you decide when to reveal a secret to the reader and when to hold something back?

That varies from scene to scene and story to story. The contract with the reader is to give them all the tools to work out who has committed the crime, but not to make it too obvious too early.


For readers discovering the series through Murder in the New Town, what would you like them to take away from their first encounter with Hunter Wilson, his family, and the darker side of Edinburgh?

Each of my books works as part of the series or as a standalone. In Murder in the New Town, I think the readers will enjoy Hunter’s relationship with Meera and with his son as well as the interactions of the characters and the reflections of good and evil in the story.  


Thank you, Val, for joining us today and giving us a glimpse behind Murder in the New Town. It has been fascinating to hear more about Hunter, his changing relationships and the Edinburgh that has become such an important part of the series.


Pick up your copy of Murder in the New Town HERE
Read with #KindleUnlimited


Val Penny


Val Penny has an Llb degree from the University of Edinburgh and her MSc from Napier University. She has had many jobs including hairdresser, waitress, banker, azalea farmer and lecturer but has not yet achieved either of her childhood dreams of being a ballerina or owning a candy store. 

Until those dreams come true, she has turned her hand to writing poetry, short stories, nonfiction books, and novels. Her novels are published by SpellBound Books Ltd. 

Val is an American author living in SW Scotland. She has two adult daughters of whom she is justly proud and lives with her husband and their cat. 

Connect with Val Penny:





11 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed this interview! 😊 It was lovely getting to know a bit more about Val and the inspiration behind the book. Murder in the New Town sounds like a great read — definitely one for the TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you’ll really enjoy it! 😊 Edinburgh makes such a fabulous setting for a crime thriller, and this one certainly gives Hunter plenty to deal with. I hope it makes it off the TBR and into your hands soon! 📚

      Delete
  2. I do love a good author interview. It’s always interesting hearing about the person behind the books and what gets them writing. Looking forward to finding out a bit more about Val Penny and her work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the interview! 😊 Val has had such an interesting writing journey, and it was lovely finding out a little more about what inspires her stories. And, of course, there’s always room on the TBR for another crime thriller! 📚

      Delete
  3. What an interesting interview! I’m always intrigued by authors who use a real city so strongly in their stories, and I love that Val describes Edinburgh as an “additional character.” The family connection to the murder certainly makes this one sound particularly personal for Hunter. Definitely one for the crime-reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edinburgh is such a brilliant setting for a crime novel, isn’t it? And I loved Val’s description of it as another character in the story. This one certainly puts Hunter through the wringer though! I hope you enjoy it if you give it a read. 😊📚

      Delete
  4. Lovely interview. I’ve not read Val’s books yet but this has definitely made me curious about them. Hunter sounds like an interesting character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give them a try! Hunter is a great character, and there are plenty of cases waiting for you if you decide to dive into the series. 😊📚

      Delete
  5. Really enjoyed reading this interview with Val Penny. It’s always lovely getting to know a little more about the author behind the books and what inspires them. Definitely made me curious to find out more about her work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! 😊 Val was a lovely guest, and I really enjoyed chatting with her. I hope we’ve tempted you to give one of her books a try! 📚

      Delete
  6. Well, Val has certainly had an interesting journey! 😂 I always enjoy finding out what authors were doing before they became writers. And now I’m rather curious about that sweet shop dream… 🍭📚

    ReplyDelete

See you on your next coffee break!
Take Care,
Mary Anne xxx