Publisher: Luminare Press
Pages: 303
Marie was born a girl. That was only her first mistake, according to her father.
In an era when daughters and wives are not supposed to be concerned with matters outside the home, Marie is determined to prove him wrong. To do this, she must break down barriers placed on women in society, overcome difficulties that befall her, surpass hardships from the Great Depression, and then face an inevitable relocation.
Marie steps into her community and into the hearts of many people to give her time and help with their needs. She wants nothing in return other than her father's acceptance as a worthy woman and yet, she gains much in return, even if it is not her father's praise. This is Marie’s story—of a rise from her girlhood angsts to become a leading lady—and much more.
This definitive biography is the empowering true story of one trailblazing woman who, in the mid-1900s in small-town America, changed her community and beyond for the better and forevermore.
Marie Conner, A Leading Lady follows a woman determined to challenge the expectations placed upon her in a time when women were often expected to remain in the background. What first inspired you to tell Marie's story?
I believe we all face challenges from time to time. For Marie, she challenged the stay-at-home housewife status quo of the mid-twentieth century, and before that, the dutiful daughter role. In her youth, she advocated against the mistreatment of women. Later, when married, she stepped into her community and the hearts of many women who faced hardship through poverty, especially mothers who had been abandoned or whose husbands were serving in the Second World War. Marie, through her extraordinary acts of compassion and care, changed her community and beyond for the better, forevermore.
For me, my challenges from yesteryear mirrored what these women had experienced. I had faced seemingly insurmountable financial hardship and turbulent relationships. I overcame those challenges and, at the encouragement of others, wrote my memoir to show how I did it. Marie is at the heart of Out of Chaos: A Memoir (Boyle & Dalton, 2018). My memoir was my story; Marie is worthy of her own.
When I was on the verge of adulthood, Marie, remembering her own youth, shared her wisdom with me, giving me the strength to overcome those challenges that I later faced. Long after her passing and the publication of my memoir, I questioned who she had been before our time together. That answer involved research. Marie, who had first been my matriarch, became my muse as I peeled back the layers of a woman who, I discovered, had lived a truly remarkable life. That discovery became my inspiration for Marie Conner, A Leading Lady.
Marie's desire for her father's approval appears to be a powerful driving force throughout the book. What interested you most about exploring this complex father-daughter relationship?
When I was a girl, Marie had shared many stories with me about her own girlhood days, never forgetting what it was like to grow up with three mean brothers and a domineering father. Later, through my research—and through reading her published letters—I developed a deep understanding of this powerful driving force.
In general, we tend to hold reverence and love for our dads and paternal figures. Their guidance during our youth helps shape our values and ethics, yet as adults, we can look back and question how that influence truly defined us. Marie’s true story offers powerful empowerment to become exactly who you want to be, even when resisting familial expectations, all without letting go of your love for your father.
Despite facing numerous obstacles, Marie continually chooses to serve and support her community. What qualities do you think make her such a compelling example of civic leadership?
Marie’s can-do spirit shone everywhere she went and in all she did. Her leadership encouraged others to join her in building a community that could be enjoyed by everyone. Even when she fell short of her goals, she kept showing up and kept doing the next best thing. She had no room for naysayers, freely speaking her mind for the civic causes she believed in. If Marie could change the world, so can we. Her story shows us how.
The title describes Marie as "A Leading Lady." What does leadership mean to you, and how does Marie embody that idea throughout the book?
I do not take full credit for the title. Instead, I used the words that were first spoken by her friends, neighbors, fellow community members, and the mayor to describe Marie. They spoke of the achievements she reached through various organizations and how those accomplishments benefited people. They spoke of her versatile civic contributions and her unwavering willingness to serve everyone, asserting that her personality and character were outstanding. In Chapter 12, “Leading Lady”—the namesake of this book—these townsfolk explicitly call her their leading lady.
Although this story takes place in a bygone era, the leadership qualities found in Marie continue to resonate today. The small American town she called home still hosts an annual Strawberry Festival each June, a long-standing tradition and nostalgic homage to the strawberry harvests that define the region.
For this year’s festival, two princesses on the Strawberry Court, Tatum Cole and Payton Voight, perfectly share this spirit when describing what it means to represent their community. They noted it means “showing kindness, respect, leadership and pride in where I come from while setting a positive example” and “being proud of where I come from and showing pride through my actions, attitude, and involvement.”
The leaders of today might not know exactly who came before them, but it is because Marie and others first led that this community continues to thrive. While this book captures Marie’s history, it ultimately embodies a legacy of leadership that lives on.
Where a title can describe a book, its cover image can define it. How did you choose the image for this book cover?
If only Marie’s likeness could grace the cover, but the only historical snapshots I had to work with were grainy, black-and-white, and deeply antiquated. I dabbled in AI tools to try and clean them up, but the results didn’t do her justice. Aside from that, I wanted no part of artificial intelligence on the cover.
That’s when I turned to and purchased a timeless photograph by the late Dot Dotson of Eugene, Oregon, securing permission and usage rights from his family. His photograph captures Main Street in downtown Lebanon, Oregon, during the mid-1940s. It stands as a beautiful pictorial reminder of bygone days in small-town America, and a tribute to the home of Marie Conner, whom this community wholeheartedly called their leading lady.
Marie seeks to make a difference without expecting recognition or reward. Do you think society sometimes overlooks the contributions of women like her, and was highlighting those contributions part of your motivation for writing this book?
When you think of strong women from history, this is likely the first time you have heard of Marie Conner. Instead, names like Rosie the Riveter, Eleanor Roosevelt, or Nancy Reagan are recognized as strong American women who led in their respective eras. Yet, society often doesn't know how to handle strong women from history. They are living, breathing people with complex lives, but over time, they are flattened into two-dimensional icons, remembered for their names and pictures, and not much more. The actual messy human grit that made them strong gets lost in the legend.
This historical biography uncovers the real woman in Marie: a woman who struggled to be seen as worthy by her father, but who was recognized by her community as a leading lady. My motivation in writing this book was not only to highlight her accomplishments but also to show that, like us, she had imperfections. Even with shortcomings and defying her father’s wishes, Marie navigated expectations, pressure, and setbacks, and kept building something bigger than herself.
Your previous books have explored resilience, advocacy, and the strength of the human spirit. Do you see any connections between Marie's story and the themes that have appeared in your earlier works?
My first book, a memoir about resiliency, details how I moved past challenges and hardships into a life of connection and community. My second book, People Helping People (self-published, 2020), shows how my personal experience of being on the receiving end allows me to make a difference in others’ lives through volunteerism.
Aside from these previous works, I am a contributing author to a book that will release later this year, When Women Talk, Notes From The Future: What I Would Tell My Younger Self. In this forthcoming book, my co-authors and I will share our stories of learning and life, and as women, will inspire you to build community, to pursue your dreams, and to live your best life.
Ultimately, this biography is deeply connected to these works. Marie’s life is the historical blueprint for community spirit, resilience, and dedication to help others.
For readers discovering Marie Conner's story for the first time, what do you hope they will take away from her journey of perseverance, service, and determination?
I hope readers take away the realization that they hold the power to build a lasting legacy exactly where they are. After you read it, I hope you will please leave a positive review on Goodreads, Amazon, or in anywhere that you shop or hang out. Just a few words will be loved by all of us—myself and other readers, too.
Marie’s journey shows us that we do not have to be flawless or free from personal hardships to make a monumental difference. By facing her setbacks, navigating expectations, and choosing to help others, Marie left her community forever changed for the better. I hope her story inspires readers to step into their own communities, embrace their unique grit, and realize that if Marie could change her world, so can they.
My thanks to Elle Mott for taking the time to answer my questions and for introducing us to the extraordinary life of Marie Conner. It's clear that Marie Conner: A Leading Lady is more than a biography—it's a celebration of resilience, community, and the lasting impact one person can have on the lives of others. I wish Elle every success with the book, and I hope readers enjoy discovering Marie's inspiring story as much as I enjoyed learning more about it.
Marie Conner – A Leading Lady
HERE




No comments:
Post a Comment
See you on your next coffee break!
Take Care,
Mary Anne xxx