Wednesday, 12 August 2026

Author Interview: Jennifer Ivy Walker

 


Today, I’m chatting with Jennifer Ivy Walker about her novel Dragonslayer’s Valkyrie, a sweeping reimagining of the legendary Norse tale of Sigurd and Brynhildr. Blending mythology, romance, magic, and destiny, the novel brings one of the great love stories of the Norse sagas vividly to life. Join us as Jennifer discusses the legends that inspired the novel, the fascinating world of Valkyries and Viking beliefs, and how she reimagined this timeless tale for modern readers.


But first, let's check out  Dragonslayer’s Valkyrie



Publication Date: June 21st, 2026
Publisher: Green Mermaid Publications
Print Length: 388 Pages
Genre: Viking Historical Romance

Last of the Völsung line of kings descended from Odin, Sigurd is one of the elite Sjórúlfar—the fearsome Sea Wolves of southern Norway. Endowed with the divine blood of the wolf, he seeks glory at the Sólhjarta Summer Solstice Tournament to avenge his father’s death.

Brynhildr, daughter of the Raven King, is the Sun Falcon shieldmaiden and gifted seeress who has glimpsed her fate as a Valkyrie in a seiðr vision. When her father decrees she must wed the tournament’s champion, she summons Freyja for guidance—only to learn her future is bound to Sigurd.

As the Norns tighten the intricate threads of fate, Brynhildr must guide Sigurd toward his destiny as a dragonslayer—by defying the web of wyrd and incurring the wrath of Odin.




Dragonslayer's Valkyrie reimagines the legendary tale of Sigurd and Brynhildr. What first drew you to these iconic figures from Norse mythology, and what inspired you to tell their story? 

When I was doing research for my Valiant Vikings trilogy, I discovered the legend of Sigurd and Brynhildr. Since theirs is an epic love story, I thought it would be perfect to bring that Norse legend to life!


Sigurd and Brynhildr are both characters shaped by destiny, yet they each possess strong wills of their own. How did you approach balancing fate and free will within the novel? 

I adhered to the original Norse saga as much as possible, but since there were many discrepancies in the different versions of the legend, this allowed me quite a bit of creative liberty in developing their characters.  I wanted Brynhildr to be a fierce shieldmaiden and wilful Valkyrie. Sigurd, as a legendary hero, had to be equally fierce—but I tempered his ferocity with love for Brynhildr.


Brynhildr is portrayed as both a shieldmaiden and a gifted seeress. What aspects of her character did you most enjoy exploring? 

I loved creating the realm of the Valkyries! I created Brynhildr’s background, her training as a shieldmaiden, and her triumph and tragedy in becoming a Valkyrie.


Norse mythology is rich with gods, prophecies, and powerful symbols. How did you decide which elements of the original legends to preserve and which to reinterpret for modern readers?

The original legend had many gaps in the story and inconsistencies in the various versions, so I had to fill in the gaps and create plausible reasons for the characters’ actions.  I knew I had to involve Odin—for Brynhildr defies him outright and is severely punished by the Norse Allfather.  But since Brynhildr is also a gifted seeress, I decided to include Freyja and have the Goddess of Seiðr  be an  active participant throughout my novel.


The relationship between Sigurd and Brynhildr is central to the story. What makes their legendary romance continue to resonate across the centuries?

Theirs is a transcendent love, much like that of Romeo and Juliette, or Tristan and Isolde, or Lancelot and Guinevere. I hope my readers will enjoy the powerful love of Sigurd and Brynhildr that triumphs overall.


Throughout your work, you have explored Celtic and Nordic myths and legends. What is it about these ancient stories that continues to captivate you as a writer?

I am a former French teacher and college professor of the “language of love”. While earning my master’s degree in French literature, I discovered the legend of Tristan et Yseult, which was the inspiration for my award-winning trilogy, The Wild Rose and the Sea Raven. As an undergraduate student, I spent a summer living in Normandy and was fascinated by the Viking heritage in that region of France. So, I decided to bring Norse legends to life for my modern readers.


The novel features Valkyries, seiðr magic, and the influence of gods such as Odin and Freyja. How much research went into recreating the spiritual and cultural world of the Vikings? 

I spent months of research for this novel! In fact, every novel I write incorporates intensive research, blended with my creative writing and vivid imagination.


Fate, honour, vengeance, and sacrifice are recurring themes in many Norse sagas. Which of these themes did you find most compelling while writing Dragonslayer's Valkyrie?

I found fate to be the most compelling in Dragonslayer’s Valkryie, since the lovers are tightly bound  by the Norns’ web of wyrd.


As an author who writes across several genres, including medieval romance, historical fantasy, and romantic suspense, what unique opportunities did this blend of mythology and romance offer you as a storyteller? 

I absolutely love combining authentic historical events, real world geography, legendary heroes, and Norse mythology. My background in French—including my travels to Normandy, the Alps, and Provence—provided a lot of inspiration for the various components of the intricate plot in Dragonslayer’s Valkyrie.


For readers who may be encountering the legend of Sigurd and Brynhildr for the first time, what do you hope they will take away from this tale of love, destiny, and courage? 

I hope they will be enchanted by the triumphant love of Sigurd and Brynhildr and how I made that love overcome all obstacles—including the predestined, tragic fate of the original Norse saga.

A huge thank you to Jennifer Ivy Walker for taking the time to chat with me today and for giving us such a fascinating insight into Dragonslayer’s Valkyrie. It’s been wonderful learning more about the legends of Sigurd and Brynhildr, the mythology and research behind the novel, and Jennifer’s interpretation of their extraordinary love story. I hope you’ve enjoyed the interview as much as I have, and that you’re inspired to discover this epic tale of love, courage, magic, and destiny for yourself.


Pick up your copy
Read with #KindleUnlimited


Jennifer Ivy Walker


Jennifer Ivy Walker is an award-winning author of medieval Celtic, Nordic, and paranormal romance, as well as contemporary romance, historical fantasy, and WWII romantic suspense.

A former high school teacher and college professor of French with an MA in French literature, her novels encompass a love for French language, literature, history, and culture, including Celtic myths and legends, Norse mythology, Viking sagas, and Nordic lore.

Connect with Jennifer Ivy Walker:


7 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for featuring me today and my inspiration for Dragonslayer's Valkyrie: The Legend of Sigurd and Brynhildr!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy finding out what goes on behind the scenes when an author is writing a book, especially when history, legend and a little magic are all mixed together. Jennifer Ivy Walker clearly has a real passion for the world she writes about. A really interesting interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's always something fascinating about discovering the history and legends that sit behind a novel. I enjoyed reading about Jennifer's inspiration and the research that goes into bringing this world to life. It's certainly made me curious about her books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read Jennifer's other books and really enjoyed them, and if it were not for the children being on holiday for the summer, I would have read this one while it was on tour. I will look forward to reading Dragonslayer's Valkyrie in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love finding out where authors get their ideas from, especially when old legends are involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, this interview has done absolutely nothing to help my TBR situation 😂 I love the sound of Jennifer's books. Legends, history and romance... yep, I'm in trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoyed getting to know a little more about Jennifer Ivy Walker through this interview. I always like hearing about the person behind the books and what inspires them to write. Some of the answers here really made me want to find out more about her work.

    ReplyDelete

See you on your next coffee break!
Take Care,
Mary Anne xxx