Tuesday 24 September 2024

Can Harald and Selia reach Rome in time to warn the King?

 


The Swan's Road
(The Atheling Chronicles, Book 1)
By Garth Pettersen


Publication Date: 15th November 2017
Publisher: Tirgearr Publishing 
Page Length: 248 Pages
Genre: Historical Fiction

In the eleventh century, Cnute, the Viking king of Engla-lond and Scandinavia, sails with his son, Harald, and his shield brothers to Rome. Thrown off course by a storm, they follow the route up the Rhine.

When Harald hangs back to assist Selia, a beautiful Frisian woman, his path turns perilous. Newfound enemies, retainers of Robert the Devil, Duke of Normandy, pursue them. Harald, Selia, and their companions fail to rendezvous with King Cnute, and are forced to travel cross-country on horseback. If Duke Robert's plan to assassinate Cnute succeeds, an invasion of Engla-lond will follow.

Can Harald and Selia reach Rome in time to warn the King?

Pick up your copy of
The Swan's Road

Garth Pettersen 


Garth Pettersen is a Canadian writer and historian who lives with his wife on a farm in the beautiful Fraser Valley near Vancouver, British Columbia. When he is not writing, he is looking after horses and mending fences. He has a bachelor's degree in History and a background in Education (History, English, Theatre). Garth Pettersen's short stories have appeared in several anthologies and in journals such as Blank Spaces, The Spadina Literary Review, and The Opening Line Literary 'Zine. His award-winning historical fiction series The Atheling Chronicles is set in Anglo-Saxon/Danish England early in the eleventh century and features the largely unknown figure of Harald Harefoot, second son of the “Viking” King Canute. Reviewers have praised the author for his extensive research on the era.

Connect with Garth:




6 comments:

  1. Your cover is stunning! I have your series on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just about to say the same thing. I love how there is an image reflected in the axe.

      Delete
    2. So glad you like the cover. It was done by Simona Cora Salardi in Italy (Cora Graphics). After I finished book 2, I suggested we keep the Viking warrior and the battle axe for all the covers. I like them so much, I have them framed. I hope you enjoy the series.

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you like the cover. All my covers are done by the incomparable Simona Cora Salardi in Italy. We've repeated the Viking warrior + battle axe for all the covers. I think each one gets better. Cheers

      Delete
  2. This book does sound like a good read. If I may ask, what was the inspiration behind your choice to explore this particular period in history, and were there any surprising revelations you uncovered during your research?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandfather, who died in the 1930s, was a Norwegian sailor, whaler, sailmaker, and Klondike goldminer. The Swan's Road came about after I read that King Cnute atttended the coronation of the Holy Roman Emperor (a Christian conglomeration of mainly German states) in Rome. I am constantly surprised and amazed by what I discover about the age. Did you know that the Vikings (Scandinavians) were more concerned with their appearance than the Anglo-Saxons? Instead of one or two baths a season, Saturday was bathing and combing day. I hope you enjoy my series.

      Delete

See you on your next coffee break!
Take Care,
Mary Anne xxx