Years ago, I read a biography about Cardinal Duke Richelieu, and I was fascinated by his rare combination of intellectual prowess, diplomatic skills and unwavering dedication to France combined with his iron determination to do - whatever it took – to reach his goals. This inspired me to study this period in depth and discover how fascinating it truly was.
Henri de Beauvoir is described as a man willing to make a pact with the devil to achieve his ambitions. What drew you to creating such a dark and morally complex character?
This is in fact the last book of a series describing the conflict of two heirs to the de Beauvoir legacy – the eternal conflict between good and evil. Henri incorporates the dark side of mankind and yet, he remains human, with his burning ambition, hatred and unfilled desires. His pact with the devil fascinated and challenged me as writer: how to describe and create this split personality without falling into the trap of writing ‘fantasy trash’.
The novel explores themes of power, betrayal, and revenge. Why do you think these themes continue to resonate so strongly with modern readers?
I guess that’s easy to answer, it’s a theme that has been accompanying mankind probably since the first fights broke out which cave was the better one and who should become chief of the tribe hunting down the mammoths. In my mind it’s the fight between good and evil that will probably never end and I think watching the daily news confirms my view.
Henri's past appears to play a crucial role in shaping both his actions and his fate. How important is the idea that we can never truly escape our past?
The human mind is very complex, only a few people have the power to leave traumatic events behind and set their minds free from past burdens – or past happiness they lost. In Henri’s case he never ever wanted to leave the past behind, in fact a glorified dream of the past that never existed. In truth he has the character is a gambler, it’s the excitement of risk and the feeling of triumph and annihilation of enemies that drives him.
The relationship between Henri and the Marquis de Beauvoir lies at the heart of the story. What interested you most about exploring conflict within a family rather than between strangers?
I’d like to answer something intellectual and deep, but it came as a spontaneous idea, rather as a plan. When I continued writing my book, I discovered the benefit of this set-up as it is ideal to keep the suspense and highlight the abyss between good and evil.
You have sold more than 100,000 copies of your books and have spent years bringing history to life for readers. What is it about historical fiction that continues to inspire you as a writer?
Let me brag a bit first, it’s 250.000 copies by now as I started also publishing in French and Spanish. I was able to check and correct the French translation myself as I’m fluent in French (which helps a lot for the writing of my books and checking the accuracy of the historic context). Once I started to feel comfortable in this genre, I simply continued to write. But I’m telling you a secret: as my wife complained that I should write something contemporary, I also published four cosy crime stories under the pen name Martha Fischer.
The novel combines historical detail with elements of suspense and psychological conflict. How do you balance historical authenticity with the demands of a fast-paced narrative?
This was never a challenge for me. When I start writing a book, I check the historic context, and details, and then… I travel there in my mind, I live there, I can hear, smell and see the people, the horses, the food, smoke of the canons, the lingering smell of perfume. Then it all simply happens and I write down what I see and feel. Simple 😉
Your author bio mentions that history has taught you that the essence of humanity remains unchanged across the centuries. How does that belief influence the way you develop your characters?
I’ve read tons of historic novels in my life. Some excellent, some soon forgotten, some bad (to my taste). There’s always a challenge on how to approach history. Will you stay close to how people spoke and behaved – that’s not always a good match if you want to entertain your readers – or are you using ‘modern’ behaviour and language, but that’s problematic as our way of thinking, our sets of values are mostly very different to those in the past. I try to use a compromise, the people at that time saw themselves as being ‘modern’ and educated and clearly they also loved banter and fun. But I try to respect the mindset of the 17th century, the first doubts about religion and the role of the monarch, the inventions and discoveries that in fact destroyed the view on a world that had been cemented for centuries.
Every historical novelist has a favourite part of the research process. What discoveries about seventeenth-century France most surprised or fascinated you while writing this novel?
My novels make the reader travel all over England and the continent, even to the colonies. When I continued developing my plots, I discovered how ‘small’ and international the world was in fact at that time already - in the big and in the port cities and on the level of aristocracy and politics. Modern science confirms that we’re all in fact somehow related by common foreign ancestors and I realised how true this is.
For readers opening The Duke and the Spirits of the Past for the first time, what do you hope they will take away from this tale of ambition, love, dark secrets, and redemption?
I truly hope they’ll enjoy it. I don’t want to educate readers, I want them to read my books and feel that they had a great time reading it. If it makes some readers realise how precious love, freedom and friendship is, so much, so better.
A huge thank you to Michael Stolle for taking the time to chat with me today and for giving us such a fascinating insight into The Duke and the Spirits of the Past. It’s been wonderful learning more about Henri de Beauvoir, Michael’s passion for seventeenth-century history, and his approach to blending historical authenticity with suspense and psychological conflict. I hope you’ve enjoyed the interview as much as I have, and that you’re tempted to step into this world of ambition, dark secrets, family rivalries, and intrigue for yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment
See you on your next coffee break!
Take Care,
Mary Anne xxx