Thursday, 20 August 2026

Author Interview: Tony Riches

 


Today, I’m chatting with Tony Riches about his new historical novel Queen Anna, the first book in his Stuart Queens Trilogy. Leaving the Tudors behind, Tony turns his attention to Anna of Denmark, a queen whose fascinating story has often been overshadowed by that of her husband, James VI and I. Join us as Tony discusses the research behind the novel, Anna’s perilous journey to Scotland, her determination to protect her children, and why he believes this creative and underestimated queen deserves to reclaim her place in Stuart history.


But first, let's check out Queen Anna  



Publication Date: July 9th, 2026
Publisher: Preseli Press
Pages: 366
Genre: Historical Fiction


A crown won in the eye of a storm. A queen who refuses to be broken...

Princess Anna of Denmark sails for Scotland to marry King James VI, but storms ravage her fleet, igniting a deadly obsession with witchcraft in her new home. Arriving in a strange and paranoid court, Anna finds her new husband’s bed is a treacherous place.

Surrounded by whispering courtiers and shifting alliances, Anna refuses to remain a passive pawn. When the court takes her children to raise them away from her, the young queen draws her line in the sand. 

From the windswept castles of Scotland to the glittering, dangerous English court, Anna is restored to her rightful place in history.




Having completed your acclaimed Tudor novels, what inspired you to begin a new trilogy centred on the Stuart queens, and why did you choose Queen Anna of Denmark to lead the series?

After more than twelve years with the Tudors, it seemed a good idea to explore what happened with the succession. My starting point was not the best, as my history lessons at school focused on the English Civil Wars, and I didn’t learn much about the Stuart queen consorts. This makes my research more interesting, as I’m now telling the stories of three fascinating and underestimated women in my new Stuart Queens trilogy. Anna of Denmark was the first, and her story takes us from the palaces of the Danish court to Holyrood House in Scotland - and on to the palaces of Westminster and her beloved Denmark House.


Anna is often overshadowed by her husband, James VI and I, yet your novel places her firmly at the heart of the story. What was it about her life that convinced you she deserved her own novel?

I became intrigued by the idea of a fourteen-year-old Danish princess being forced by her parents into a strategic, arranged marriage with King James of Scotland. Anna had to leave her friends, her family, and everything she knew, for a strange country across a dangerous sea where she could barely speak the language. There is also the question of her relationship with King James, and how they had so many children. As well as her daughter Elizabeth, the ‘Winter Queen’ of Bohemia, Anna was the mother of Henry, possibly the greatest king we never had, and the ill-fated King Charles I.

 

The novel opens with Anna's perilous voyage to Scotland and introduces readers to a kingdom gripped by fears of witchcraft. How important was this turbulent historical backdrop in shaping the story?

The North Sea is dangerous even today, but for Anna it meant risking her life to make the perilous crossing to Scotland – not once but for several unsuccessful attempts. It is little wonder King James was quick to blame the storms on witchcraft – but most surprising is that he risked the crossing himself in winter to claim his bride. The most important consequence of the voyage for Anna is that she never returned to her family in her beloved Denmark.


Throughout the novel, Anna refuses to be a passive figure despite the expectations placed upon her. Which aspects of her personality did you most enjoy bringing to life?

Some historians dismiss Anna as superficial, but I discovered an innovative and creative woman who cared passionately about her children and always tried her best to be a good wife and consort to King James, despite his many faults. I particularly liked how Anna developed her masques into important diplomatic events and became a leading patron of the arts.


From the castles of Scotland to the splendour—and danger—of the English court, the settings play a significant role in the novel. Which location did you most enjoy researching and recreating?

I enjoyed contrasting the splendour of the Danish places with the dour, damp castles Anna found in Scotland. I found she led many improvements, particularly to her apartments at Dunfermline and Holyrood House. When she eventually reached Hampton Court, Anna chose the same bedchamber as Queen Jane Seymour as her favourite bed. 


Every historical novel requires a balance between documented history and imaginative storytelling. How do you decide where the historical record ends and the novelist's imagination begins?

Canadian novelist Guy Vanderhaeghe said, ‘History tells us what people do; historical fiction helps us imagine how they felt.' This has become my guiding principle when writing historical fiction, as we see events through the senses of our characters, and begin to understand how it must have felt. I also work hard to explore the deeper relationships which historians hint at, but I can develop with informed insights.   


You've spent many years writing about the Tudor period. As you've immersed yourself in the Stuart era, what differences have stood out to you the most?

There are clear differences in attitudes to royalty, due to the decline of the nobility and ideas of chivalry, and the rise of the merchant middle classes. This culminates, of course, in civil war and ultimately the execution of King Charles. What struck me most, however, were the similarities. The old Tudor system of patronage is still very much evident in the Stuart era, and the delicate business of peace with France and Spain is little changed. 


Without revealing too much, what can readers expect from the rest of your Stuart Queens Trilogy, and are there particular historical figures you're especially looking forward to exploring?

I’m looking forward to telling the story of the civil war and the eventual restoration of the monarchy from an unusual perspective, the point of view of the underestimated queen consorts. Interestingly, they come from Denmark, France, and Portugal, so each brings a different cultural dimension, which is fun to explore. 


Finally, if Queen Anna could read your novel today, what do you hope she would recognise about herself, and what do you think her reaction might be?

I hope Anna would like how I remind the readers of the importance of her heritage, with authentic sayings and use of Danish words. She would also appreciate how I’ve told the story of how her children were taken from her, and her determination to have them back. I’m sure Anna would be glad she is not forgotten, and in some modest way the book restores her rightful place in the history of the Stuarts.


A huge thank you to Tony Riches for taking the time to chat with me today and for giving us such a fascinating insight into Queen Anna. It’s been wonderful learning more about the woman behind the crown, from Anna’s Danish heritage and devotion to her children to her patronage of the arts and her determination to forge her own place within the Stuart court. I hope you’ve enjoyed the interview as much as I have, and I look forward to discovering where Tony takes us next as his Stuart Queens Trilogy continues.


Pick up your copy of 
Queen Anna  
HERE
Read with #KindleUnlimited.



Tony Riches


Tony Riches is a full-time UK author of historical fiction. He lives with his wife in Pembrokeshire, West Wales and is a specialist in the lives of the early Tudors. As well as his Elizabethan series, Tony’s historical fiction novels include the best-selling Tudor trilogy and his Elizabethan series.


No comments:

Post a Comment

See you on your next coffee break!
Take Care,
Mary Anne xxx